I have never surfed, I have been to the the sea a lot, watched surfing on the TV, even read about it but never actually surfed. This will become more relevant later, for now what is success in painting?
- Having your picture hung on a gallery wall?
- Sitting back and admiring every brushstroke and feeling satisfied the painting was a success?
- Winning a painting competition?
- Becoming well known as a painter of substance and quality?
- Achieving a likeness or a photorealisitic rendition of a subject?
None of the above, in my opinion, none of those answers represent success in painting.
True success can only be found in the process of painting, not before or after, only in that moment.